Monday 7 July 2014

Vis-à-vis with author Mohit Jain.


Suyash’s Corner and the News-O-Holic interacted with author Mohit Jain. Mohit has recently come up with two of his books, namely Four Corners of the Circle and J.U.I.C.E. We spoke to him about his books, journey as a writer, profession and many more things. Read the transcripts below to find what Mr. Mohit Jain shared with us!



Welcome to Suyash’s Corner and the News-O-Holic Mohit sir. Beginning this interview with your introduction, kindly tell our readers something about yourself? 

Passion for teaching was there from the days of my graduation. I started teaching CA, CS student’s way back in 1997. Present scenario - majorly into training with corporates and Engineering students - Aptitude training and corporate's CSR activities. Poet by heart, maybe someday would publish my poetries too. And living happily with my wife and a daughter at Kolkata.

Is Four Corners of the Circle your first book or have you written more books prior to it?

FCOC is not my first published book. Law Point Publications, Kolkata had published two books previously viz. General Economics for CA Cpt and Economics & Statistics for CS Foundation for students, way back in 2007. Both are for the niche and targeted students and not for masses. FCOC is my first attempt to write something for masses. I had never thought of writing FCOC. It was something like I wanted to write some papers on abstract topics and I had 4 topics with me on which I started writing one after another. Eventually what happened was FCOC. The four concepts started revolving in a sequential manner and that gave birth to the concept called "Four Corners of the Circle". It’s about a journey. It is my journey. And I am still travelling.

Four Corners of the Circle is like a guide book for the students. How and when did you decide to write up this novel? 

Well, there was an urge for writing few things to answer many queries of my students, who would come up to me every now and then with these abstract questions. In reality, those questions motivated or rather 'pushed' me to write a logical set of answers for there never ending queries. That gave birth to the first corner and subsequently I end up writing all the four corners.

After FCOC, you have recently released J.U.I.C.E. Tell us something about it and how it different than FCOC? 

JUICE is actually my class lectures, transformed into a story format. I still remember dozing off at the last bench during my economics classes. So, the urge to find out new modern ways so that I can make those last benchers also listen to the vast and interesting concept of Economics, I decided to introduce each topic (nearly all topics) with the help of simple stories, examples. And majority of things related to my experiences with people and society as a whole. Therefore, JUICE is an attempt to induct or motivate students to take Marketing and Economic theories as a real concept, like, these students should believe that these theories actually exists and have a positive impact on our lives in this modern era too. One can read 5 stories from Marketing and 5 from Economics. JUICE is definitely different from FCOC in the sense that genre is different. Theme or focal point is same - inspiring students. But different stories have been narrated in different ways. Target audiences are different. But both FCOC and JUICE are story books, which I think any one irrespective of age of education can read and enjoy the concepts and if possible can also try to implement those concepts in their day to day life.

Apart from being an author, you are a professor and a mentor, motivating students-at-large. How do you manage both your jobs? 

It’s all because whatever I discuss in my class, or during my lectures or during my training sessions, is what I actually write.

What inspires you to author these books sir?

Inspiration and zeal to reach out to masses, with the approach with which we teach. "Band kuye ka maindak ban kar padate rehne se, ek achchi approach, ek achchi vichar dhara bhi vahi us kuye main dum tor dega" If there is something good and truth instilled in it then it is a teachers duty to preach it among students. 

Both your books have interesting titles. What role do you feel these titles play in the sales of the book and how do you come up with such interesting titles? 

"You eye it, You buy it" In other words, “Jo dikhta hai, woh bikta hai" If the author is new, the title generates curiosity among the prospective readers which may be converted into buyers. Being a trainer for presentation skills, how I can leave my book without an extra ordinary name or presentation? FCOC presentation is simple yet classy. On the other hand JUICE is full of cartoons, way diagrams all because we need to create the urge among students to read those theories. And I promise my readers that no book of Mohit Jain would be with a title which doesn't catch on your imagination.

How has the support from your family been in this journey of yours?

I am Blessed! They are truly supportive. Jab Neev main pariwar hai, stambh dosto ka hai... toh bas mera kaam sirf likhte jana hai. My biggest thanks to them! 

Tell us about the response that FCOC and JUICE have incurred from the readers?

FCOC is mostly being referred to the students of colleges and B schools. They being preferred to read it and colleges in Kolkata have also kept 100 copies in their college library for students to endorse in it. JUICE is very new, yet we had pre-ordered copies that are currently available in schools and colleges. Teachers are recommending JUICE as a mandatory book for student’s studying economics and marketing at various levels.

What are your future plans, sir?

We are coming up with the sequel of FCOC very soon. And off lately I have started writing a fiction called SHE. Reality se bada koi fiction nahi, so fiction likhna mere liye ek reality ki tarah hi hai. And I am also planning to convert my advertisement class lectures into a huge story very soon - named TMG - To My Girl

Lastly sir, if you are invited to a session to motivate budding authors, what would be your message for them?

"Sach ko sach man lene se woh sach ban jaye, yeh sach nahi, khud sach banao, yehi sach hai." If you want to write, I would ask you to "Just write". Likhne ke baad kya hoga, achcha likha ya bura likha, koi padega ya nahi... yeh sab baatein toh tab hongi na jab aap likh chuke honge. Don’t distract yourself and just keep writing if at all you want to write! 

Thank you, sir. Thanks a lot for interacting with us! It is a pleasure reading, reviewing your books and interviewing you!


*** 

3 comments:

MANISH BANSAL said...

Great going ....keep it up....

Surajit... said...

After reading your interview, few memories flashed by of the times when you were writing these books. Your punch lines & quotes were always so entertaining during those long hours of lectures on either Investment Management or Financial Analysis, when you would often, quite avidly discuss certain excerpts of your book or narrate a stanza of your poems.
Wish you all the very best.

Wish you all the very best.

Unknown said...

feeling blessed :) keep writing sir :) i know you would

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow me on FACEBOOK